I love working on restaurant social media content! There’s only one small problem with it. It works. I’m so hungry and have an incredible craving for the type of food I’m working with, so I usually go out for lunch that day. So what content should restaurants create to engage more people and build community through social media?
Here’s a list of ideas that are gaining traction for many of our restaurant clients, along with some examples from Bavarian Grill.
87 Restaurant Social Content Ideas
- Current menu – Online or downloadable
- Favorite menu items
- Gluten-free menu options
- Allergy-sensitive menu options
- Vegetarian menu options
- Vegan menu options
- Low-calorie menu options
- Low-fat menu options
- New menu items
- Poll: Ask for new menu item suggestions
- Seasonal menu items
- Limited time menu items
- Favorite beverages
- Coffee drinks
- Specialty drinks
- Fun food photos – Get creative!
- Source local ingredients – Show local community support
- Source special ingredients
- Share recipes – But not grandma’s secret recipe!
- Unique food and drink pairings
- Nutritional information
Specials & Promotions
- Current specials
- Specials only available on social – encourages visits
- Promote loyalty programs
- Promotions for slow business hours
- Incentivize customer content sharing
- Contests with giveaways
- Sustainable business practices – Be green
- Recycling and repurposing programs
- Community involvement
- Non-profits and charities supported
- Employees helping the community – Give employees a day to serve your community
- Restaurant events
- Current events tie-in – Stay away from sensitve topics
- Local events tie-in
- Birthday specials – What do you do for birthday guests?
- Anniversary specials
- Patio dining
- Take out
- Dining experience – Show a full dining area
- Features unique to your restaurant
Customers & Guests
- Happy customers enjoying your food
- User-generated content – People LOVE this!
- Customer reviews
- Video clips of happy customers
- Feature regular customers
- Dining areas full of customers
- Subscribe to your email – Email is still a great marketing tool
- Give a review
- Promote specific platform reviews from Yelp, Trip Advisor, Zomato, and others
- Promote your blog – If you don’t have a blog, you may want consider starting one
- Link back to your website’s full menu, location, and other relevant pages
- App – Promote your app if applicable (see what I did there?)
- Link to other social platforms
Staff & Team
- Introduce your team
- Staff recommendations – They know your menu better than anyone
- Employee of the month
- Staff group outings
- Employee advocacy – Your team members are your best brand ambassadors!
- Get to know us
- Employment opportunities
- Behind the scenes – People love this stuff!
- Video of restaurant operations
- Video of food prep
- Video of work fun – Everyone loves to have fun
About Your Restaurant
- Restaurant history
- Did you know? – What would you like people to know?
- Your favorite thing about us in one word
- Restaurant humor (non-offensive)
- Hashtag promotions – #useuniquehashtags
- Inspiration and quotes – Relevant to your restaurant
- Food tourism
- Food stats
- Foodie reviews
- Merchandise for sale
- Delivery vehicles – And deliveries in progress
If you have any other ideas, we would love to hear them! Please share in the comment section below.
Restaurant Social Media Checklist
Download the free checklist and use it to evaluate your restaurant’s social content and create some fresh, new content with these great ideas!